8 Great Tips to Enjoy Reading!



J. K. Rowling famously says, "If you don't like to read, you haven't found the right book" and I agree! As an avid reader who has experienced the magic of books first hand, I am already a life-long fan of reading. And as a parent, a wife and a friend, I am also constantly striving to inculcate the love for books and reading in my child, my husband, my friends and basically in anyone willing to listen! 

Initially, when I began recommending books, I started out by listening to my instincts a bit and relying on Google a lot. And I thought I was doing a great job too, until I realised that every time I visited the mall, my child and my husband happily gravitated towards the toys' and other sections while I wandered the book aisles in search of the perfect books for them! 

And then I began to notice a few things that I was doing all wrong! And that is when I put together this 8-step plan to ensure you avoid the mistakes we made and enjoy reading! 
  
  • Let the reader choose the books 
One of the most interesting things about reading books is the joy of picking out something that catches your eye on a book shelf or interests you from the synopsis on the back cover! Therefore, it is important to let the reader be the one choosing the book. Like what you see on the cover, read the synopsis at the back, maybe leaf through a few pages, even read a couple of pages or chapters - and then select the book. This will help build the excitement and the interest to read the book. 


  • Read for a little bit at a time  
Not everyone can sit still and read for a long time. sooner or later, your attention is bound to wander, especially if you are new to reading. Reading for short periods at a time can help keep the interest going and the helps with that. Also, as an added advantage, looking up new words as you read can help increase your vocabulary and be great at public speaking! 

  • Visit the library and don't rush when you do
It is absolutely worth it to make time to visit a library regularly. Not just to pick out books but to spend time there, surrounded by books, reading. And it is equally important to not rush when do visit. Spend some time browsing, walking through the aisles, enjoying the feel of books and generally surrounding yourself with words! 
      


  • Choose books exclusive of the internet or the bestsellers lists 
Usually Google is the best place to find good books for most of us; and so are the bestsellers list. But it is important to also find your own way through trial and error when it comes to finding the books that you may or may not like. Different people have different intellectual capacity and maturity levels and it is best to be guided by your instincts when deciding on what books to read. 
  • Be patient with yourself 
Everyone needs time to see for themselves what kind of books they like to read. Some people know clearly what they are looking for; while others need a little more time. But the bottom line is to give yourself time and the freedom of making the choice of finding a read that interests you. 

  • Don't judge yourself  
There are all kinds of books in the world; and as many different kinds of people with as many different tastes who love them or hate them. No two people can read the same book they say; and even if they do, they don't view the book similarly. So there is really no point in being judgmental about a certain book or genre that you may or may not like to read. 




  • Don't just stash books that someone says are "great"
I am a book hoarder and I just keep picking up books for me and my child all the time! But then one day, we visited a bookstore and my little one picked up a book in a genre that I never much cared for; and I asked him why doesnt he read what I have already got for him at home instead. His reply, is what made me realise how wrong I had been. "Those are the books that you like, Mum;" he said; "this is what I like!" 


  • Read anytime, anywhere, don't stick to a scheduled reading time  

Some people work their day according to a pre-set time-table. Everyday, at a specific time, these people open their books and read for an hour. Like clockwork. Maybe it works for them. But to me, this feels boring. Reading because it is time to read makes it a chore and can take away the fun and spontaneity of the activity. 

   
Everyone develops at a pace that is entirely their own. Different people read and like different things. Comparing what one is reading with what your peers are reading is only going to act as a detriment and not an encouragement if you are seriously looking to be a  books lover. Reading is something we do for pleasure, and what gives one pleasure is something that one has to discover oneself. 

If you follow these tips, your instincts will guide you correctly to the kind of books you will love to read! I would love to know from you in the comments section what you think of this list and would welcome your additions to the same! 

Happy Reading! 

Accolades!

Accolades!